Tuesday 8 May 2018

Family



This is a real bittersweet topic for me. As you know, it was almost four years ago now that I was ill. There are stacks of great blogs out there from people who are, or have documented their journey through cancer, in real time. A pal of mine is doing that right now at When life gives you melons. Those stories are real and wonderful. I’m choosing what I now reflect as being the big, key moments in my journey for my attitude and my outlook, both at the time and now.
I expect that I’ll be here for up to a year maybe, talking about “stuff”. 
I also know, as I write this, that I’ve slipped back into some of my comfortable old ways. The wonderful thing about life is that while it keeps going, you can change as many times as you want to. 



Family

I’m busy, you’re busy, so I 
Didn’t call this week. 
I’m here if you should need me, 
You know that is true. 
But life’s hectic, and we don’t have the 
Time to sit, with a brew, and chat.

I knew you would be there when I needed,
So I called you that day, my sister
And told you the news. 
Pulled together, all of us. 
Knitted closer by this illness. 
You all glittered, diamonds, I saw you then, 
As glistering as gold. More precious.
I resolved that though we live so far apart,
I’d call more, travel and see you all, more. 

And I did. 
But that was then, the hairless illness days.
When work was a dim memory, and I swear 
There was a glint of a scythe,
Just at the edge of all I saw. 

Now, I’m busy, you’re busy and 
I didn’t call this week. 
I’m so sorry. 


I’ll pick up that phone, today. 

4 comments:

  1. The glint of the scythe made my hair stand on end. Glittering diamonds, glistening gold, then that. It's good to know that it's distant enough for normal life and normal omissions to have resumed. But yes, pick up the phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking time to comment B, much appreciated. It was an odd time of heightened perceptions, and I confess, I'm a poet at heart!
      The phone has been picked up :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the shout out, lovely :) I am finding this blog so helpful... it has the realness of being there, but a reflectiveness and understanding that just isn't there with others who are going through this at the same time. Letting your story be shaped and guided by the experiences that affected you the most, rather than simple chronology, is part of that, and is helping me make some sense of the deeply strange experience that cancer treatment is. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey matey! Your blog is awesome, you have a clarity that a lot of other blogs don't. I wouldn't have linked to it otherwise...
      Thank for commenting though, it's reassuring to know that it can still be helpful for people now, seen through that "reflectiveness". Sending hugs x

      Delete